Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Football and Sore Feelings...

Now normally I'm not much of a college football fan (outside of Texas teams), but I did in fact watch the National Championship last night.  As were many football fans across America last night, I was surprised at the lack of awesomeness in that game.  I truly believed that despite his missed attempts, Alabama's kicker was more worthy of the offensive MVP award.  In any case, it was a lackluster offensive performance last night from both teams.  

On a lighter note, I got together for football Sunday with a group of friends to put on a little more of an offensive effort.  And by offensive effort I mean I ran my rear off...literally.  I made up my mind before kickoff that I would sprint every play, no excuses.  This was such a great idea, boosting my heart rate and destroying calories by the hundreds (and thousands).  It was a great idea of course, until Monday morning. It took just about everything that was within me to pull my tired, sore, tight legs out of bed.  I was immediately reminded of one monumental aspect of training: stretching/flexibility.  Most people, like I did, don't think about stretching (either before or after) exercise.  Unfortunately, we are missing some important qualities:

1.  Circulation:  the last thing we need AFTER exercise is for the blood to stop flowing properly.  Proper stretching after exercise increases the blood flow, decreasing risk of blood pooling in the limbs.  It also helps to prevent waste, like lactic acid, from building up in the joints and muscles.

2.  Lubrication:  stretching out those joints and muscles that just gave their all for you is like sending them to the spa for a quick once-over.  It helps to prevent waste, like lactic acid, from building up in the joints and muscles.  

3.  Improves Flexibility:  A good stretching practice (both before and after exercise) increases your overall range of motion.  Increasing your range will not only provide you with more flexibility, but will help perfect your form in your current exercises.

4.  Reduces Soreness:  By decreasing muscle tension, you reduce the amount of soreness/stiffness you will feel later on.  Your muscles after exercise are still prepared to work, so they keep their tension, even when you're done.  You have to tell them to release, which is done through stretching.  If your muscles are extremely sore (inhibiting your mobility), maybe it's time to grab a foam roller and have someone help you roll it out.

If you'd like more info. on stretching or foam rolling, shoot me an email.

Stay Strong,
Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment