Friday, March 2, 2012

What's up with CrossFit? Part I

So I'm diving into the world of CrossFit, because honestly, I haven't had enough experience with it quite yet to make an educated decision on whether I like it or not.  Yesterday I was watching the movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and I was thinking about Weapon X (the dude that has pretty much all the cool powers mixed into his body).  I thought about how beast mode that guy could really be if only he were a good guy, and not having to be slain by Wolverine.  I mean think about it, having all the greatest mutant powers in one guy...okay, enough babbling.  There is a point here:  I love to learn about all types/styles of training.  I like looking into anything and everything I can get my hands on for the purpose of taking what I like from each and creating a stronger, more diverse program for my clients.

Probably 8 of 10 members who come into the gym these days grab a towel and head straight for the treadmill or elliptical, where they will remain for the duration of their stay.  Unfortunately, though they are burning off those cheeseburgers for the day, they're not getting the greatest training.  Now before you throw something at your computer screen, let me explain.  Great training programs include a mixture of exercises that challenge more than one system in our bodies.  Now all you marathoners out there, you probably like the treadmill, and that's great.  However, should you desire to be a more well-rounded, stronger athlete, you need more.  This is the idea behind CrossFit.

"The aim of CrossFit has been to forge a broad, general, and inclusive fitness" (CrossFit Training Guide, pg, 3).  Ultimately, CrossFit is designed to create a well-rounded athlete.  Not necessarily one who will be the world's greatest powerlifter, cyclist, or gymnast, but instead an athlete that can cycle, run, swim, stretch, and lift more than the average Joe.  It is a style of training (some refer to it as a sport) that is designed to prepare the athlete for any physical contingency.  This means it's programming and design is built around training for the unknown, as well as the unknowable.

Upon gazing in from the outside, having just stepped in the shallow end of the CrossFit industry, I see plenty of things that I like about it.  If you are looking for a specific type of training (ie Cycling, Marathons, Body Building, Specific Strength Growth) or are not a fan of the group fitness setting, I would suggest finding a personal trainer (ps-I can help with that) and working one-on-one, where you can be catered to specifically.  If you're looking for a program that's all-inclusive, or you're just looking to try it out, maybe you should give CrossFit a try.  Stick around, I'll give you more information about what's up with CrossFit in the upcoming posts.  As always, should you have any questions, comments, concerns, or you would like to talk about training, feel free to contact me.

Stay Strong,
Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment